Ryan Joseph Matherne, MD received his medical degree from LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans. He received the Henry W. Jolly, Jr. award, given to one outstanding graduating student in dermatology. He was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society his junior year, and served as LSU AOA Chapter President during his senior year.
He completed an internal medicine internship at Earl K. Long Medical Center in Baton Rouge and dermatology specialty training at the University of Texas Medical Branch. During his final year of residency, he served as Chief Resident and was awarded the faculty award for excellence in dermatology research. Dr. Matherne remained at the University of Texas for an additional year of training in dermatopathology, which involves the interpretation of skin biopsy slides. He also served as Instructor of Dermatology during this fellowship year.
Dr. Matherne was born and raised in Raceland, LA and earned his undergraduate degree in Biology from Nicholls State University. He has published articles in several scientific journals and has been involved in multiple dermatology presentations at scholarly meetings. He enjoys teaching and holds an adjunct position of Associate Clinical Professor in the LSUHSC Department of Dermatology. Dr. Matherne’s interests include adult and pediatric medical dermatology, skin cancer prevention and treatment, and cosmetic dermatology.
Certifications & Professional Affiliations
- Board Certified by the American Board of Dermatology
- Board Certified by the American Board of Dermatopathology
- Member of the American Academy of Dermatology
- Member of the American Society of Dermatopathology
- Member of the American Society for Mohs Surgery
- Member of the Louisiana Dermatological Society
- Clinical Associate Professor of Dermatology, LSU Department of Dermatology